The Royal Mint
The Royal Mint history presented by “Gold” site part of the Open International Joint-stock Corporation “GLOBAL MARINE POLLUTION“
The Royal Mint is not one of the best Mint in the world, it is the Main Mint in the World till now. Like it, you can read in official Royal Mint site: “The Royal Mint is the world’s leading export mint, making coins and medals for an average of 60 countries every year. However, its first responsibility is to make and distribute United Kingdom coins as well as to supply blanks and official medals.”
Opened by The Queen in 1968 in readiness for the introduction of the decimal coinage, The Royal Mint’s headquarters in Llantrisant, South Wales, employs more than 900 people today. Trained security staff oversee the security of the 35-acre site, which operates 24 hours 7 days a week for 52 weeks a year. The Royal Mint produces 90 million coins and blanks a week – almost five billion coins a year.”
Look how the Royal Mint works before in 1956:
The Royal Mint has evolved to become a sophisticated industrial concern, which operates today as a government company. The 1,100 years of its existence track the history of Britain through its wars and political upheavals, its social and economic progress, its technological and scientific advances. Its history is, in short, woven into that of Britain itself.
Minting began in Britain around the end of the second century BC. Coins were struck by hand in the same way as they were made for the next 1500 years.
For a time at the end of the third century Roman coins were actually struck at a mint in London. This London mint set up by the Romans is the earliest recorded mint in the capital, but it functioned for no more than 40 years. Although it reopened in the year 383, it must have closed again almost at once.
For some 200 years or so after the withdrawal of the Romans no coins appear to have been struck in Britain. Following the consolidation of the English Kingdoms, a London mint was in operation again from soon after 650. At first, its existence was somewhat precarious but from about the time of Alfred the Great (871-899), its history became continuous and increasingly important.
At that time London was merely one of many mints. There were by then about 30 mints and by the reign of Ethelred II (978-1016) the number had grown to more than 70. These were mostly in the southern half of the country and there can have been few market towns of any consequence where coins were not struck. By the Norman Conquest their number had begun to decline and from the early part of the 13th-century minting was mainly confined to London and Canterbury. The precise location of the London mint at that time is doubtful but it is placed by one account in Old Change, conveniently close to the Goldsmiths’ quarter in Cheapside.
About 1279 mint moved to more secure quarters in the tower of London.
For the next 500 years, the Royal mint remained in the Tower. The plan shows 1701 mint buildings forming a narrow horseshoe around three sides of the tower is not restricted by the river. Processes of coinage were finally mechanized in the 17th century.
Sometimes disputes with the garrison caused a rise in tension, and as the 18th century came to an end, there was talk about moving the Royal Mint.
Following the outbreak of war with France, the demands of the garrison, coupled with the difficulty of accommodating new steam-powered machinery, led at last to a decision to leave the confines of the Tower. The new steam-powered machinery was given a trial run in April 1810.
The new mint, with its ‘stupendous and beautiful machinery’, stood in sharp contrast to the old. The main building, designed by James Johnson and completed by Robert Smirke, achieved a ‘modest grandeur’. Patrolled by soldiers from the Royal Mint’s military guard, this alley became known as the Military Way.
In the 1880s the factory buildings were reconstructed and extended, with new coining presses being installed and melting and rolling capacity increased. By the 1960s little of the original mint remained apart from the dignified Smirke building and its gatehouses in the front.
In 1967 it was announced that a new Royal Mint would be built at Llantrisant, some ten miles from Cardiff, thereby according with government policy of transferring industry from the capital to development areas. Work began on the site almost at once and the first phase was opened by the Queen on 17 December 1968.
The Tower Hill buildings were finally relinquished in 1980.
The new mint, set in rolling green Welsh countryside on the edge of the Rhondda Valley, occupies an area of more than 30 acres. Its modern buildings house some of the most advanced coining machinery in the world and it has a larger capacity than any other mint in Western Europe.
All this history from the official site of Royal Mint: http://www.royalmintmuseum.org.uk
British Royal Mint products are some of the most purchased and well-recognized bullion coins and bullion bars in the world.
The Royal Mint not only produces bullion coins but also many varied sized silver and gold bullion bars.
Official England mint bullion coins carry legal tender face values while The Royal Mint bullion bars also enjoy a government guarantee of authenticity enforced by the United Kingdom, and specifically the British government.
The Royal Mint’s Bullion
The Royal Mint’s Designers
The Royal Mint’s History